Enrolled and prospective students, face to face and online, may register concerns in a variety of ways ranging from informal conversations, formal appeals, to feedback on evaluation surveys. If a student wants to register a formal complaint it must be submitted in writing or by email (the official communication medium at the Mount). Written/emailed formal complaints should describe the issue or concern and must include the student's name, signature (electronic signature acceptable), and date. Formal complaints should be submitted to the Provost, the Associate Provost for Academic Support, the Dean of Students, or the President, who will determine if further action is necessary.

Before filing a general complaint through this process, students may wish to consider if alternate complaint or grievance procedures are more appropriate. These include, but may not be limited to, Academic Grade Appeal, Academic Dishonesty Appeal Process, Appeals/Petitions for Reinstatement, Disability Related Grievance Procedures, Informal Resolution and Formal Investigation and Resolution of concerns related to discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, misconduct, and retaliation, and student disciplinary procedure appeal process. Information on these procedures can be found in the Student Handbook and/or the Graduate and Undergraduate Catalogs. Students may also contact Linda Panzeca, Chief Compliance & Risk Officer/Title IX Coordinator at linda.panzeca@msj.edu for additional information regarding complaint procedures.

Higher Learning Commission

Mount St. Joseph University is accredited through the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Students, faculty, staff and members of the public may submit a complaint about MSJ as an accredited institution through HLC. Learn more about the HLC complaint process.

Ohio Department of Higher Education

The Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) is responsible for responding to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit and proprietary institutions of higher education in Ohio. While the ODHE has limited authority over colleges and universities, and cannot offer legal advice or initiate civil court cases, the Chancellor's staff will review submitted complaints and work with student complainants and institutions. Learn more about the ODHE complaint process.

When a student complaint regarding an online program rises to the state level for resolution, it is ultimately resolved by the SARA state portal entity in the state in which the institution is located. SARA consumer protection provisions require the Ohio Department of Higher Education to investigate and resolve allegations of dishonest or fraudulent activity by an Ohio provider such as Mount St. Joseph University, including the provision of false or misleading information. Learn more about the ODHE complaint process.

While the final resolution of a complaint rests with the SARA portal entity in the home state of the institution, the portal entity in the complainant’s location state may assist as needed.