Theory: 15 hours
MUS 101Theory Fundamentals (3)
MUS 105Piano I (3)
MUS 106Piano II (3)
MUS 113Aural Skills (3)
MUS 308Music Theory (3)
History: 15 hours
MUS 131World Music (3) CAM/IDS
MUS 212American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3 (3) MU/CAM
MUS 233Music History I (3) MU/CAM
MUS 234Music History II (3) MU/CAM
MUS 402Music Literature (3)
Conducting/Arranging: 3 hours
MUS 403Conducting/Orchestration/ Arranging (3)
Performance - 9 hours
(MUS 140A - MUS 197A - Applied Instrument)
Large Choral/Instrumental Ensembles - 6 Hours
MUS 110EUniversity Singers (1) MU
MUS 120FUniversity Band (1) MU
MUS 120NLab Band (1)
Licensure for Teachers
*Students choosing a major in music who also want to pursue Ohio teacher licensure must satisfy the same requirements as the major and additional requirements in music and education. The pertinent Multi-Age License (ages 3-21) is music education. (See Education for professional education core requirements.)
Students who successfully complete the Music major will be able to:
- demonstrate performance ability appropriate for the B.A. in music.
- develop vocal and keyboard skills appropriate for the B.A. in music.
- perform advanced ensemble literature.
- comprehend various musical genres and stylistic periods.
- identify historical periods and cultures.
- improvise in various musical styles.
- understand theoretical/compositional music concepts.
- understand formal/structural concepts.
- critically review personal musical/intellectual performance.