Theory -12 hours
MUS 101Theory and Skills 1 (3)
MUS 118Theory and Skills 2 (3)
MUS 307Theory and Skills 3 (3)
MUS 404Theory and Skills 4 (3)
History - 12 hours
MUS 131World Music (3) CAM
MUS 212American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3 (3) CAM
MUS 233Listen to This:Musical Masterworks from the Middle Ages to 1750 (3) CAM
MUS 234Listen to This:Musical Masterworks from 1750 to Present (3) CAM
Ensemble Leadership - 6 hours
MUS 213Church Music and Worship (3)
MUS 403Basic Conducting (3)
Piano - 6 hours
MUS 105Piano I (3) CAM
MUS 106Piano II (3)
Ensembles -- 8 hours
**MUS 120F or MUS 110E or MUS 120K must be taken for 1 credit hour for 8 semesters
MUS 120FUniversity Band (1)
MUS 110EUniversity Singers (1)
MUS 120KOrchestra (1)
**Piano Majors may choose either University Band or University Singers. Not performing in an Ensemble is not an option. In Singers, they would be responsible for some of the accompanying, as well as singing. Students choose ensembles appropriate for their instrument.
Applied - 8 hours
MUS 140A-200A (1), MUS 000R Repertoire Class (0) Required every semester.
Students who successfully complete the Music major will be able to:
- demonstrate performance ability appropriate for the B.A. in music.
- develop vocal and keyboard skills appropriate for the B.A. in music.
- perform advanced ensemble literature.
- comprehend various musical genres and stylistic periods.
- identify historical periods and cultures.
- improvise in various musical styles.
- understand theoretical/compositional music concepts.
- understand formal/structural concepts.
- critically review personal musical/intellectual performance.