Theory: 16 hours
MUS 108Musicianship I (4)
MUS 109Musicianship II (4)
MUS 215Musicianship III (4)
MUS 216Musicianship IV (4)
History: 6 hours (choose two)
IDS 231World Music (3) IDS
MUS 233Music History I (3) MU
MUS 234Music History II (3) MU
Conducting: 3 hours
MUS 301Conducting I (2)
MUS 302Conducting II (1)
Arranging and Orchestration: 3 hours
MUS 329Choral Arranging (1)
MUS 330Orchestration (2)
Performance - 12-14 hours
BA = 14 hours (Applied Instrument - 12 and Applied Pedagogy - 2)
BA w/Licensure = 12 hours (Applied Instrument only)
(MUS 140A - MUS 197A - Applied Instrument)
(MUS 140P - MUR 197P - Applied Pedagogy)
Choral/Instrumental Ensembles - 3-4 Hours
BA = 4 hours over 8 semesters
BA w/Licensure = 3 hours over 7 semesters
Applied Chamber Ensemble - .5
MUS 120BApplied Chamber Ensemble (0.5) MU
Immersion - 2-4 hours
BA = 4 hours over 4 semesters
BA w/Licensure = 2 hours over 2 semesters
MUS 115Immersion I (1)
MUS 220Immersion II (1)
MUS 317Immersion III (1)
MUS 401Immersion IV (1)
Any student pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music is also required to obtain a minor in another degree program.
Licensure for Teachers
Students choosing a major in music who also want to pursue Ohio teacher licensure must satisfy the same requirements as the major and additional requirements in music and education. The pertinent Multi-Age License (ages 3-21) is music education. (See Education for professional education core requirements.)
Students who successfully complete the Music major will be able to:
- demonstrate performance ability appropriate for the B.A. in music.
- develop vocal and keyboard skills appropriate for the B.A. in music.
- perform advanced ensemble literature.
- comprehend various musical genres and stylistic periods.
- identify historical periods and cultures.
- improvise in various musical styles.
- understand theoretical/compositional music concepts.
- understand formal/structural concepts.
- critically review personal musical/intellectual performance.