Major Coursework — 11 hours
BIO 111Principles of Biology I (4) N/CN
BIO 112Principles of Biology II (4) N
BIO 200Biology Seminar II (3)
Expanded Knowledge in Biology — 28 additional hours in Biology courses (Four of these courses must be 300-level courses, no more than TWO 100-level courses may be used to fulfill this requirement, and Co-op Courses are excluded from these 28 hrs)
Culminating Experience — 1- 4 hours (select one)
BIO 340Research in Biology (1-4)
BIO 341Directed Study in Biology (1-4)
BIO 342Internship in Biology (1-4)
Cognate Courses — 8 hours
CHE 111General Chemistry I (3) N/CN
CHE 111AGeneral Chemistry I (LAB) (1) N/CN
CHE 112General Chemistry II (3) N
CHE 112AGeneral Chemistry II (LAB) (1) N
Any two courses from these three areas (for a total of 8 credit hours):
- Physics (200 level or above)
- Additional Chemistry (200 level or above)
- Additional Biology (200 level or above)
Students who successfully complete the biology major will be able to:
- demonstrate and apply an appropriate knowledge of the terms, concepts, and theories relative to the biological sciences.
- undertake advanced work in industry, secondary education, graduate or professional school.
- be competitive and marketable in a chosen field.
- demonstrate the critical thinking, communication, and research skills needed to excel, particularly in the use of the scientific method to investigate problems and synthesize results in written and oral presentations.
***The College of Mount St. Joseph will become Mount St. Joseph University effective July 1, 2014. Any reference within the catalog to the College will be understood to be a reference to Mount St. Joseph University after July 1, 2014, unless otherwise noted.***